Thursday, October 11, 2012

Remembering Nang Misia and Nang Piling


I’m positive that you’ve never heard of them, nor met them.  I don’t personally know them either but the memory of their feat reminded me that I am one of them in a way.




I used to travel weekly by bus, bound to Moalboal on Fridays and then back on Sundays to Cebu City.  I was still a student of USC-BHS then.  Then randomly and surprisingly I would see Nang Misia or Nang Piling on the highway, carrying just anything (from rags, cats, etc…).  From Alcantara, Ronda, Dumanjug, Barili, Carcar, San Fernando, Naga, Minglanilla, Talisay and even in Cebu City (you name it) I can see them at one point or another.  Whatever their reasons were, I don’t know.   I  was just amazed and awe at  the idea of travelling the Cebu- Moalboal distance on foot.

Now, it’s barely a month remaining before the 2nd Leg of Cebu Ultramathon Club’s 100K kicks off and I’m having mixed emotions.  Excited but doubtful. 

My wife used to ask me, “Are you crazy?”.   I don’t know… maybe… an idiot... but a special one.  A Special Idiot that is!!!  I was a given an approval though with this addiction (I should say).

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Come Nov. 17, if I’d be able to get hold of that Finisher’s Medal, Nang Misia and Nang Piling would probably be laughing at me by then and asking me, “Hey look, who's crazier now?”.

1 comment: