Wednesday, January 23, 2013

CUC 100k Leg 2

Finally did it!

Two weeks before CUC 100K Leg 1 started, I had to cancel my slot  because of a knee injury suffered from the Bohol 50 Miler Ultramarathon.   I had second thoughts then that quitting was not an option but  I’m glad now that I made that right and most sensible decision.  I could tell now that 100K is not a walk-in-the-park and that long preparation should be properly set-up.
 (support crew duty during CUC 100K Leg 1)

Just weeks after Leg 1, the registration for the 2nd Leg was announced.  By this time I was already recovering from my injury and started doing short-easy runs.  Biking also helped a lot so was my newly bought KAI running sandal.  The four of us from Lear Runners (Roy Guevara, Henry Benlot, Cristobal Damandaman and me) were among the 1st 20 early bird registrants.
(L-R Henry, Toto, Me and Roy)


Looking for the right training program that suits my schedule was not easy.  I had to revise every now and then until I stuck with my own comfortable program as  I kept in mind that it’s better undertrained than being injured.  Weeks after  of using KAI running sandals, I realized that my foot, particularly my ankle area were getting stronger and stronger.  Sticking to what’s working, I gradually increased my mileage on sandals.  Running regularly on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays while joining fun runs on Sundays.  Sometimes, I could also do bike ride on Sundays.

Then came PETC’s Biggest Loser 3rd Edition.  I was still 171 lbs at that time and wanted to shed off some pounds for my 100k debut so I give it a try.  Thingking that I might able to win some consolation prizes.  I claimed my prize long before the results were made.  I persuaded my wife that I am winning this year’s Biggest Loser challenge and if it’s okay if I'd buy a new pair of running shoes.  She can then collect my winning prize during the final weigh in. Fortunately I was able to cast off 20lbs and got the 2nd place with only 1 week remaining before 100K gunstart.

I also incorporated core training and some light workouts whenever I could. 

TAPERING and CARBOLOADING WEEK

I still did some short-easy runs and became a forced-fanatic of camote and bland carbonara.  I was like an eating machine that last 2 days.

RACEDAY!!!

Woke up at 7AM to check if I had all my things in place.  I have listed it all, from sandals, shorts, up to raisins and nuts.  I’m happy that my wife and my two kids will be waiting for me at the finish line on Sunday but at the same time I was nervous reflecting if my preparations were good enough.  Then we’re off to Alcoy at Philip Romanos’ house (a very generous officemate offering their rest house for free).  My wife and kids will be staying there for the night together with Henry’s wife and son.

At 4:30 PM, we headed to the church for the mass and went to the starting area for the check-in.  I was wearing our black LEAR Runners Shirt, a blinker, a headlamp, a bottle of water mixed with “hydrite”, a celphone, Sketchers sports watch,  my old New Balance (sounds weird) running short and of course my KAI running sandal.  This was the original plan, to run the whole route on KAI, but at the same time change if the situation calls for it.  At exactly 6PM, we were released,  I stayed at the last pack until I’m thoroughly warmed up.  People along the road where very welcoming and encouraging.  Some even prepared cheering chants, some calling us idol, while others were congratulating us as if we’ve already crossed the finish line. 
(In one of the water stations in Boljoon)

My plan was to run for 14 minutes then walk for 1 minute regardless of whether its flat, downhill or even uphill course.  I was hitting the first 20K on target, 9 minutes per KM pace.  Then the road starting to get rough, I found it very hard to walk on them with my sandals but our support crew was nowhere to be found.  It was already 10PM and still no sight of them so I text them to find us, I beadly needed to change footwear.  It was nearing 30K when they finally showed up.  I was definitely mad on how things were going with our crew but I stayed focus, grab some stuffs and told them to get back at us more frequently.  I slightly changed my plan, this time to run 13 min then walk for 2 minutes.  I was getting some kind of momentum at this point and was at a faster pace, possibly at 7min/km.  Reached KM 40, did not stayed long but the hot porridge they prepared was definitely delicious.  It was in this area where I met the leadpacks.

At the turning point, I was the 56th runner to arrive.  They’re I met our crew for only the 2nd time.  I advise them to please look for us constantly especially now that it’s already the 2nd half of the race and that we're already tired.   After getting some supplies, I stopped at KM 50 grabbed a cup of porridge and drink a cup of coffee. Stayed there more that 10minutes for a reason I did cannot understand.  I felt tired during that unusual long rest but decided to create another run/walk strategy just to maintain my focus to and move forward minimizing stops.  This time it was an 8-2 run/walk which was working until I hit the 80KM marked at 11:59 hours.  Almost 3 hours ahead of my 80KM run in Bohol. 
(still going strong)

I was very happy that I reached that distance ahead of my planned pace, until I hit some kind of a wall .  I don’t have the juice to go on anymoreI sat down on a bamboo bench beside the highway, talked to some locals in the area and just wasted so much time doing nothing.  Thought at first that I had blister so I removed my shoes and socks but there was none.  Luckily, the supposedly support crew (not a support crew anymore) found me and when I looked at the supplies saw a can of beer and without second guessing drank it up.  It did not relieved me from my indolent feeling at that time but it sure did give me some doze of different form of energy.  After putting my shoes back on, I decided to continuously move forward even if I’ve be walking the rest of the way.
(me at my lowest point during the race)


NEW FOUND WIND

With 5KM remaining, a tricycle passed by and I heard  familiar voices calling me.  That’s when I saw my wife and my two kids waiving, smiling and shouting “Go DADA, go”.  They were heading to the the finished line to meet me.  A certain boost of energy filled me up and I felt that the race just started, in as much as I want to ran the last kilometers without stopping I had to pace a new acquaintance Jerry who have also motivated me to go on despite that very hot morning.
(with Jerry, meters before the finish line)


FINISH LINE

I was the 3rd from Lear Runners and the 48th runner from the 122 runners who arrived within cut-off time of 20 hours. It was a sure PR since it was my first 100K run at 15 hours, 56 minutes and 34 seconds.


I was happily greeted by my wife who carrying own 2 year old Whammy.  Zyle was enjoying his pool time with Maxi (Henry’s son).





















It was indeed wise to quit on the last minute of the 1st Leg because running for 16 hours demands not just mental strength but also physical power.  As expected I become a zombie for 2 days after the run with 1 ½  dead toe nails.

Right after the run: D na jud k mousab.
A week later: 160K is doable.


No comments:

Post a Comment