Thursday, April 25, 2013

Siquijor 360 degrees: 75K Ultramarathon

My most challenging ultramarathon run so far.  Going to battle half-prepared could have cost me a DNF in this one.  Luckily I was able to adjust and made daring moves that propelled me to complete the route. 

From Sir Jovie's blogsite

 

Well, let me recall the reason why I joined this UltraRun. I was filled with enormous excitement and eagerness but missed the important details about the run. Of the 4 islands comprising Region VII, Siquijor was my last roadblock to one entry in my bucket list (@ least a marathon per province).  Cebu : lots of them, Negros Oriental - 1st Dumaguete Adventure Marathon, Bohol - 1st Bohol 80K Ultramarathon.  An to finish this 75K run, that would be a big achievement at least for myself.  Unfortunately, I did not read the blog from Bald Runner (which by the way, I'm following) that it was a “self-support” run.  I just accepted the event invitation from Kikai Legaspi in FB, who also registered for this run but had to back-out to rest from at least 2 ultras that past 2 weeks.  I did not inquire about how to get there, thinking that I'd be bringing my motorcycle and my brother (as my support crew) during the event.  So when the eve of the run came, I asked a good friend from the island about the schedule of the "roro" ferries but told me that it's not a sure event that there would be a trip on that day.

What???????? How am I going to get there?  He told me a ferry that cost at least 1000 php does have a trip @ 3PM that day.   What?????? 1000??? I even have troubles getting my registration fixed and now I have to spend 1K for the one way trip alone? How about the return trip? This time I started feeling the pressure, but had to go anyway.  So I told my brother about the change of plan and have to go to Siquijor alone.  Good thing I have a school ID (Post Grad) which help saved about 125Php form the fare.

The trip to Siquijor was very timely yet funny.  I was able to go to the islands of Bohol, then Dumaguete and finally Siquijor.  Arrived at Siquijor, Siquijor (yeah, that’s the name of the town) around 10PM only to find out that there were no people at the starting area and that the people there aren't even aware that an Ultramathon event is happening the next day.  Since, I've read about sir Jovie's post from the internet that he'd be staying at Replica Manor, I ask a lady if she knew about the place.  Called a tricycle to get me to the place and asked if 20Php is OK since I have a very tight budget.  He agreed  along with a frown face.

Got to Replica Manor, ask the owner if a certain General made a reservation there.  He confirmed but told me that they were now resting.  He also told me that they're already full (which I don't have intension anyway of pulling another 800php for the night).  So I asked him if I stay at the dining area and would just pay a discounted fee but he humbly offered ( or did he?) a bed, fan and some beddings.  At first I thought it was free but upon leaving he told me to pay only for the bedding's maintenance.  I agreed since the next morning would be another war so I had to sleep even for the remaining 3.5 hours would make a big difference.

Replica Manor (From Sir Jovie's blogsite)

While lying, my tears started rolling.  What the hell am I doing?  After a very long trip, I had to beg for a place to sleep and I started missing my wife and kids who were always my source of courage through difficult times. Char! Honestly I felt very sad, then nature was with me on this one.  Rain started pouring, that of course made me laugh after I called up my wife and shared my experience.

I woke-up at 2:30AM and ordered a 120Php breakfast meal.  Some guys from Manila were already awake, had a small chat until they told me that it was a “self-support” run, with no water stations and no ambulance. BANG!!!!! Will the bad news stop?  I can't blame anyone but myself.  I was used to CUC's style of UltraRuns but it made me think also to prepare for the worst next time around.  It's also an eye opener for me but I knew I need  to adjust.  I won't be able to use my shoes because there's no drop-off stations (self-support gani!!!) so I have to leave most of my things at the resort.  I bore a hole from a small havianas bag and made it my running bag.  Inserted a plastic straw to immobilized the bag (a bit) from uncontrolled swinging.  Had to fixed my mind that there's no turning back, run now and cry later.

I was expecting at least 5 more CUC friends at the starting area but met only Soybitz(Minglanilla) and TakasBahay (Lapu-lapu also) from Cebu.  They looked very prepared, I begun feeling pity of myself but had to enjoy the run anyway. 

 TakasBahay in neon green shirt with some DARS members

with Soybitz and Sir Jovie

I was wearing Kai sandals (Thanks Cob) for the whole duration of the race.  See the line at the back of my race bib above?  That's the improvised belt I made out of a plastic straw.  Imagine the pain/mark that the strap would leave near my shoulder if I had this bag all along in my 14 hours run.


Gun time: 4AM

I started slow just like in my previous ultras.  Stayed at the middle pack for the 1st 10K until Mr. Sun started breaking in.  Some of the runners were able to see my situation and told me that it will hurt soon.  Until I started feeling so uneasy and promised that if someone would offer again to let me place my bag in their van, I would not hesitate to say "Yes".  I was able to run along with some runners from DARS (Dumaguete runners) whom I have shared my story.  A policeman from Siquijor named Bruce also was supported by his brother and sister in law (who also had a father Running, from DARS) suggested that I should place my bag in their support vehicle which I happily agreed.  From then on, we were running alongside.  They even offered to share lunch with them.  As much as I’d want to refuse, I was now considered by them as one of their own runners. 

The long walk breaks make my feet very painful.  The KAI sandal indeed was not designed for walking.  For the last 20 KM the group decided to walk it off because one of their runner whom they called "attorney" had cramps and could not run longer.  It was me who suffered from that plan.  So instead, I'd ran for about 2 kilometers and wait for them then ran again for the next 2KM.  That feels much better.

About 8 more kilometers to go,  I was asked to stop to answer nature's call.  They said that they were ready to get out of me.  I asked one household if I could use their comfort room, "sure" they said, with a big grin.  I remembered from previous run that after doing this same activity, my legs tightened, so much that it cost me a lot of time walking.  I'm glad I was okay this time around.

As I exited the area, I thanked the very generous family.  I saw a woman running about 100 meters ahead of me.  “Oh no you don't”,  I recalled talking to myself.  No offense intended, but I don't want to be passed by anyone anymore knowing that I still have lots of energy left in me.  As I increased my pace, I realized that Bruce was so ahead of me this time.  I wanted to catch up with him at least we could reach the finish time together since I owe him my survival in this run.  But as I got near him, he increased his pace, its then I knew that he was having his 2nd wind, the competitor side of me suggested that he's thinking of finishing ahead of me.  I was challenged by my belief and this time I'm going to finish this race with a bang.  I think I was doing 6 min/KM in that last 3KM.  Arrived at 6:04 PM, that’s 14 hours for an 18th of 32 overall rank.

I'm very thankful for the DARS running group for everything.  But my journey isn't done yet.  I still have to eat and find a way to get back to Cebu with what's left of my pocket.  As I arrived at the resort, I asked the owner to give the same food I ate for breakfast.  Fortune again was at my side, it was his brother's wedding and said that the food was for free.  That was a very heavy meal indeed (lechon paksiw, menudo, salad and a big 1 full plate of rice that's good for 3 people).  I wasn't sure though on how much he's going to charge me for my stay and for my breakfast.  I was too tired to asked him, so came the next morning I counted my money, 875 php.  Yes, I thought that it was enough.  It was time to leave so I asked the owner, "salamat kaayo sa tanan, pila gani tanan bai?".  "Kuan lang na, 500 lang tanan na."...  Aguroy Igang.  Oh my, I then dutifully give him 500 pesos.  I paid 100 pesos for the driver as promised.  He was the one who brought me to the resort after the run and he promised to fetch me that morning.  275 pesos left and I still need to go Cebu City.  I was mentally and physically drained but gathered myself at least the fare from Siquijor to Dumaguete was only 120 pesos, I then asked my mom from Moalboal to send me 500 pesos thru Palawan Pawnshop and promised to pay her soon.

Was it all worth it? It was more of a self-inflected pain that masochist usually do.  But there are certain things in life that no matter how less important it might be to you, it’s a very treasured experience for others.  For me, it was an eye opener.  An experience that I can use in my next run, in my everyday life as a person, as a husband or even as a father to me children.  You can't go to war half prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment