Friday, August 2, 2013

CUC 100K Ultramarathon 3rd Leg

BAD OMEN?
Hours before my 2nd century run, things did not came the way I planned it.  Team Hinanggaw (Me, Henry and Toto) have already planned everything and the assembly time @ Henry’s residence was at  2 PM or earlier.  When me and my wife left home, I knew that we would be just on time to be there but a lot of things went wrong.  First, it was the misaligned chain of my motorcycle  that needs a mechanic to fix it.  I don’t have the tools then and don’t want also to exert effort that may tire me more.  Once it was fixed, we were set to arrived 30 minutes late already I just tried to focused on driving safely.  Just about 5 kilometers or so, I felt that the tires were rolling awkwardly, alas now I had a flat tire.  Oh my, “was it a sign that something not good might happen during the race?,” I uttered.



Team Hinanggaw



JIT (Just-in-Time)
Our trip came smoothly and easily after but we were less than 10 minutes from gun time.  After checking in, we were released without saying the final instructions to our support crew (my Wife Rina, Nancy, Scarlet with hubby Opaw).  I just whispered to my wife to buy some rice and fried chicken since I haven’t take my dinner yet.  I came out with a plan to run 14 minutes and then totally rest for a minute since I still have difficulty walking on KAI.  In less than 2 hours, I was being served by our support crew more than the times I was served during Leg 2.  This run became easier because of our superb support team.  As if they already knew what we need at every stops.  Their constant cheering and encouragement for us to enjoy the race was very helpful.  Everything went fine, except that my foot was very painful.  I suspected that maybe because I gained a lot of pounds as compared to my previous century run.  So instead of the original plan of changing my footwear at Km 50, I had to revised it and deiced to change at 30 KM to my new balance shoes.  At first I could feel some resistance at the inner side of my foot caused by a shoe not designed for flat footed runners but I'm glad that it was bearable and barely felt it at the later part of the run.  Everything goes well until it was between KM 35 to 40 that it started drizzling.  My wife advised to bring the raincoat because it would rain at anytime.



the COLD DAWN
Henry was already ahead big time (27 minutes ahead), me and Toto were catching up but we were not pacing each other because of preferences and styles.  I run the 1st 14 minutes then walked for a minute (I had my shoes on) while he prefers to run in spurts with long power walks.  At KM 40 I introduced Anthony Nicart to Toto.  They asked if we can go together but I declined saying that their style will kill me. Toto and Nicart’s styles were very similar.  Then it started raining hard and I had to put my raincoat on.  I still used the same strategy even if it was raining really hard.  My concern now was having blister because of wet socks and shoes.  Continuing with my preferred style, I could not see Toto and Nicart anymore when I came near 50K mark.  I wanted to stay in the area longer if not for the number of people at the tents.  After eating pospas, I was back in my same running pace but this time walking all the inclines and hills.  I did not walk on downhills and flat grounds since I knew that sooner I will be walking the 6KM stretch dreaded uphill.  That plan worked well but the course was punishing my hams slowly and steadily.  Nearing the 60KM mark, some runners were forced to run to get away from the sliding mud and rocks from the other side of the road.  I heard one runner was even hit by the rolling rocks but refused to quit.  Thanks God.  At KM 60 aid station, I asked for a hot coffee but all they could offer was cold water and Gatorade.  I ask one guy who offered a Kopiko 3 in 1 sachet that I will just add cold water to it in the hope of relieving my sleepiness.  It was past 3AM then.


who are you? 

Memories GOOD and BAD
The next 2 kilometers was a memorable place for me.  It was the place where I proposed marriage to my wife.  I was also excited to see the GOTO house where I ate my breakfast during the 1st Cebu Ultramarathon way back in 2010.  Those areas where coincidently just few kilometers where I got my first major injury at steep downhill to Cebu – Balamban boundary.  I was with batman (shirtless man with his underwear outside his compression short) in that descent.  I just tried the things I learned when running downhill (which i got courtesy of Meyux Cordova during our Habagat Ultra).  Arrived @ Km 70 where a cup of hot noodles and Henry’s so called SHOTBLOCK were available.  Henry was now just 3-5 minutes ahead of me.  I stayed longer in the area munching my favorite mixed nuts + chocolates made by Henry.  I really love that one.  30KM to go and I’m on pace of having a good chance of earlier that 18hr finish (my estimated time to arrive).


I used to hate downhills

80KM – you always slow me down
After 2KMs or so, the downhill to uphill ratio now seemed to be even.  I used the same strategy which was to run the downhill and flat ground then walk the uphill.  I cut short stops and rest time.  At one point I even demanded the support team to make it faster and they seemed in shocked why I was in a hurry.  I was thinking of outrunning at least 30 runners before the finish line.  It really backfired.  I was running the all the downhill of Gov. Leyson Drive which I thought to be a kilometer glide but I miscalculated it.  It was way longer than I expected.  Before I was able to make the ascent on the 80KM mark, I was already drained and exhausted.  That’s when laziness hit the second time around.  Coincidently the same with what happened during my 1st century run, at 80KM mark.  I started eating more than I should and rested way more.  I don’t have the drive anymore.


Enjoyable LAZINESS
When I saw Toto and Nicart coming, I was spiritually depleted.  I tried to paced them at first when I sensed that Toto was getting faster.  The competitive fire in me was awaken and I continued pursuing him until we hit the 1st climb going to Mountain View.  We talked a lot, Nicart had blisters suffered from the cotton socks he used.  They gave me some chocolate candies.  After a while Toto’s brother in-laws came, he said they prepared some hearty breakfast/lunch for him.   Toto suggested that we should eat together and don’t mind of the time since we have pretty much time left.  It was this time that a lot of runners were able to pass us.  It was more than half an hour of eating and chatting until my stomach crumbled.  I got to deploy to go anytime soon.  We asked several households before a good Samaritan offered his own toilet.  Unfortunately they have no water nor toilet paper to use and I just managed some rain water gathered during the evening rain.  Saw some mosquito pupae also but didn’t care.  I just have to go bombing.

We walked another few meters when we saw our support team.  We got some stuffs and asked then to wait for us at the finish line.  They were uncertain if they should comply but we assured them that we’re OK and we’ll just be walking up to the finish line.  I have always dreaded walking in steep downhill that I suggested that we should run down to Willy’s Place.  Nicart had problem catching up but he was always been a warrior and did not bothered complaining.  At last we reached 90KM mark.  It was the most “laysho” station were a medical team manned the station.   I just heard that 2 ladies were declared DNS and were attended immediately because they were shivering .

ITS ALL IN THE MIND
The last 10K was a mental thing.  I tried to find some pain reliever because I thought my sole were already blistered but Toto suggested that I just need to focus and overcome any pains felt.  I agreed to him only if he will not overtake me.  So for a kilometer or so, I ran like I was not feeling the pain in my feet.  I did not bother to look back at Toto since I thought he was following me.  But he was so busy talking to a runner from TOES team so I decided to go on and wait for him at near the finish line.  I reached G6 team near former Cesar Foodland’s place and they offered me a glass of beer which I gratefully accepted.  It was ice cold, I should have asked for another one.  Then I reached the foot of the last short uphill were Toto’s in-laws were drinking beer also.  I had another glass while waiting for Toto.  Nicart was also waiting there and he explained that he need to go ahead because his foot was really painful to walked on.
Wow, ABS...

The 3 warriors arrived locking arms with me at the middle.  I was really sleepy by then that my eyes can’t lie anymore.  As we approached the finish line, ma’am Lulu came to me and asked me if I was OK.  I starred at her and realized that she was very serious and I just realized that she might thought that Toto and Nicart were helping me stand and reached the finish line.  So I smiled giggly and assured her that I was fine.  I received my medal, embraced my wife and took a pose at the finish line.

three stoggies

Thank you Lalang

1st try               – 15:56.34
This time         – 18:37.46

That's better.



“Now, where’s that lechon?”, I said.


THANK YOU ALL!!!
Thank you Think Tankers.  I cannot go on those memorable places if not for you.  You have made me appreciate other people more (people’s willingness to stay awake just to cheer for us) and see God’s wonderful creation from another point of view.

Thank you support team, you made me feel comfortable and assured that I can finish the race safely.

where's Opaw?  Thank you team...

Team Hinanggaw, 50KM – Hinanggaw man na pero atong gisuwayan, nindot man diay… 100K d na jud ko ana kay hinanggaw na na pero ato gisuwayan sa makadaghang higayon.  Heheheh…  Thanks for that passion we shared…

Team Hinanggaw, congrats!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment