Monday, October 14, 2013

PingPong, anyone?

It’s one sport that I really love doing.  I have no formal training, don’t even know the famous players of this sport but have have this bizarre yet effective style that works pretty well.  Re-learning the basics thru YOUTUBE and practice with officemate indeed improved my game.

Way back when I was in the fourth grade, my family moved into our new house.  I was first introduced to this sport (much more of a past time) by the carpenters building our home.  Back on those days, the paddle/racket we had was made from cut-out “plywood”.  I can still remember the brand of our pingpong ball “Pioneer” and it worth 7php back then.  It gets easily broken not because it was made of weak material but most likely because of the uncontrollable wooden pounding… hahaha.. The net was made of the so called “net bag” while our table tennis table had a way out-of-standard dimensions.  I would have loved to continue playing pingpong, yet my brothers easily got bored of it and played other games.  To make the story short, I transferred to the city when I was in high school.  I couldn't recall a single moment that I ever held a racket within that four-year stay.  When I was in college, our PE class should have been allotted  for table tennis.  However, during that semester, one class was offered with "Arnis".  And unfortunately, I was in that class. The company where I first employed had this nice table tennis amenities where most of the players had their own customized paddles.  I now learned to use them and understood that a good table tennis player always beats the average player but great players beat great players because this have those more advanced rubbers.  Hope to customize my own soon. JJJ

By the way, I just thought of writing this blog because I just won my first 2 games in our company’s table tennis tournament.  I was trying to understand how I come to love this sport .  Then I realized that it just fits my character.  The very reason why I loved long distance running might also be the reason why I love PingPong.  I just don’t get BORED easily.  Doing things over and over and over and over maybe weird to some, but not to me.  I still play pacman or tetris like I just learned how to the play the game.  So that’s it, just sharing some discoveries I found about myself.  Hope I could quality for the semis or even win the tournament, fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment