Monday, November 25, 2013

Red Cross Marathon

I know that it's a gutsy-dumb idea to run 42K without proper training.  But I did it anyway and so I suffered.

This event was supposed to happen on Nov. 10 where my friend Ronnel was the registered runner.  But because of super typhoon Yolanda that hit the country, it was moved to a later date.  After the typhoon has calmed down, Ronnel went to his province where it was one of the areas that was badly hit.  And so his training was halted but he did not tell me in advance that he won't be joining the run anymore. 

Two days before the event he decided to sell his slot for less than half the price.  I was hesitant at first but since I thought I had enough experience, then I might as well make this one as an LSD.  But what makes this a very dumb move was to play 4 basketball games 6-hours before gun time.  I knew that I was into this very bad situation and thought to just enjoy the run... but it wasn't.  I was tired already before the 21K mark though I was having a good pace for a sub-5 finish.  Then sleepiness got the better of me when I reach the 30K mark.  As much as I want to end the agony  by moving at a faster pace, I don't have the strength anymore.  Until I found myself during run-walks as if I was doing an ultramarathon.  Luckily I survived by finishing with a time of 5:21:42.


at the stating line, thanks John

2nd half of this very sleepy and grueling run

No comments:

Post a Comment