Sunday, August 8, 2010

Run for the Footure

"A clubfoot, or congenital talipes equinovarus (CTEV),[1] is a congenital deformity involving one foot or both.[2] The affected foot appears rotated internally at the ankle." - Wikipedia

Club Foot
Run-for-a-cause: Part of the proceeds goes to these poor little kids with club foot

What a day today!!!

I joined the CERC regular Sunday long run and ended up joining this Sunday's "Run for the Footure" race. It was an unplanned run but a well appreciated opportunity in preparation for the "Aboitiz Run to Reduce" this coming August 22, 2010. I won't be running the 21K for the Milo Marathon because I wasn't able to register on time and the 400 limit has been reached already. So I'm just preparing now for the Aboitiz Run instead.

Dr. Junia invited me to join their Sunday run, and since I was also planning to have a 21K today, might as well join with a group and that group happened to be the team who organized the Cebu City Marathon 2010. We started at 4AM from Sug-angan restaurant near Anitas Bakeshop in Fuente, right turn to Capitol building, turning right again to M. Velez Street. Going straight to Banawa, Dr. Junia told me that a lady doing her morning jog alone was robbed by men also in running attire. So I guess, I was fortunate that I did not forego with my plan of doing a long run alone. When we reached Labangon crossing, we took another right turn going to Tisa and then making a left turn to Punta Princesa. We stopped at McDonalds Labangon to wait for the other runners and to have our first water station, btw we were 12 all in all that morning. It was also my first run wearing a belt bag where I placed my ID, liniment, alcohol, a small amount of money and a nutri-bar snack just in case I go hungry. After our stop-over, we trailed the highway going to the city. When we reached CIT University, Dr. Junia got a call from Dr. Igana saying that the "Run for the Footure" is about to start. Little did I knew Dr. Junia registered to that race in support to his friends who oganized it. So when he asked me if I wanted to join, I was hesitant at first because i did not register for the race, but when he later said that i will have a race bib (his driver isn't around yet at that time), I immediately said "yes". When we reached V. Rama, we told Barry that we're gonna split from the group. Barry is such a nice guy. He's already 59 years old, joined a marathon only once, but plans to run until he'd reach 70.

When we arrived at Ayala, the 10K runners were already released and we were forced to stay a bit to joined the 5K and 3K runners releasing. Since we already had our "long" warm-up, I thought it would be okay to speed up. When we reached IT park, I had to tell Dr. Junia if we could have a break at the water station because I felt I was already catching my breath. After we had our drink, or shall i say "sip", we walked for about 1 minute and we ran again. I felt some tightness in my left knee going thru the downhill part at UP. So I now begun to listen more to my body and will quit immediately if I feel it's getting worse. We catched up with the 10K runners near SSS, that's where I understand that indeed we were really going too fast.

About 2 kilometers left, Dr. Junia told me that we should start cooling down by taking easy jog. I insisted that we'd continue with our pace but he explained that I might forced myself too much and might require a longer recovery period. Since he's the experienced one, I obliged.:-) We crossed the finish line at 1hour and 20mins.

After the race, Dr. Junia said that we'd run again going to Fuente Osmeña, 'coz that's where I parked my motorcycle. I was already planning to commute going to Fuente, but out of "ka-ikog" I begged if we could just walk. So we did. We parted ways along Juana Osmeña extension. When I checked my phone, it was only 7:00 in the morning.

Best part: Pungko-pungko breakfast. Burp!!!
4 puso (hanging rice) + 4 lumpia + 1 longanissa + sibuyas sinili-an

No comments:

Post a Comment