Thursday, September 30, 2010

7th World Heary Day Fun Run 2010 : Redemption Run

It’s almost two years now since I joined my first fun run here in Metro Cebu. World Heart Day Run 2008. My 1st and last run for year 2008. Me and my wife, Rina, arrived at the venue (Cebu Doctor's University) past the gun-time and we need to at least get by the slowest 10K runner so we could say that we’re still part of the race. When we arrived at the 10K turning point (Gaisano Country Mall) we realized that the race officials started packing up. Tables in the water stations were already turned upside down so I asked Rina to ride a jeepney instead and we would just meet up at the finish line. When I arrived at the finish line, there was no marshal left to record my time and my rank number. Obviously I was the last one to arrive.

Photobucket
"lonely alley", October 2008

The time I was about to register it was already past deadline, so I immediately texted Dr. Alex Junia and asked if we could still register even if the singlets are to follow. He was still in CamSur then preparing for his 7th Marathon I believe. Fortunately, he was able to contact a certain "Em-em" and we received our race bib to officially take part in this year's World Heart Day run. I badly wanted to join this race to redeem myself from the unfortunate event happened two years ago in this same race.

Usually I would ride my motorcycle to get to the race venue, but since I needed more mileage for my Ultra Marathon preparation, I decided to run from Mambaling to Ayala Terraces via Banawa road. It was also a 10K run. When I was near Ayala, I checked the time and it was still 4:40AM so I decided to buy a cup of coffee and a piece of bread to replenish the calories I’ve lost from my first 10K.

I have a great run, though I wasn’t able to break my PR. I clocked at 1:01:31 and was # 68 for the 10K category. I was happy to know that even though I have ran 20K for that day I still feel fresh. Instead of commuting going back to Mambaling, I decided to run again up to Citilink where I would be able to pass the “Alay Lakad” event for that day that was also causing a long traffic jam. All in all, I believe I have run 25K.

Photobucket
Still wearing the same singlet from 2008, thanks Syd for this wonderful shot

Positive: The race started on time. Not too crowded as compare to most of the fun runs I’ve attended. Lots of frebbies.
Negative: One water station ran out of water. One 10K runner collapsed. Later diagnosed with severe dehydration and has to be taken to the ICU.

No comments:

Post a Comment