Friday, May 11, 2012

69K LSD turned 53K Bday Run for Papa

Last Friday, I joined a group of "special idiots" for a night LSD run.  It was no ordinary LSD because it was supposedly a special "Linggam LSD Run", a no-joke 69K run that is.  There were only 10 of us who officially registered (6 men and 4 women).

I was not so sure I would be able to complete the run since my longest single-run mileage for the past 2 months was a relatively minute 12.5K easy-run.  To run a 69K distance (though LSD) with this poor preparation was indeed "insane".  But I have to or else it would be too late for me to evaluate if the May 20 Bohol Ultramarathon (50-miler) is doable or not.

We started around 10:20 PM at Ayala Center Cebu going to Gorordo Avenue, then took a left turn to Escario Street, left turn again to Osmeña Boulevard, then left turn to Gen. Maxilom Avenue straight to Carreta which marked our 1st 5K and our 1st water station.  Thanks to our very supportive CUC president, Sir Tony Galon, who lead the mobile support team (all our basic needs are there: water, energy drinks, egg, salt etc....).

I was happy to know that no one gets left behind.  We waited for our barefoot runners (two of them: a lady and a male runner) to arrive before we could advance to the next kilometers.  We cannot move on alone since it was already midnight and as precautionary measures, we need to run by buddies or group.  The 1st 15K was okay until I realized were now staying longer than we’re supposed to in our water breaks.  Having to rest for longer period of time I guess drained much of my energy and enthusiasm to meet my pre-planned pace.  I was hoping to finish the LSD by 8am so I could meet up with my officemates for our Moalboal escapade and still have time to rest.  It did not work out though.  Two female runners considered it a day after the 25th kilometer. By the time we reached the 35K turning point at Danao Fish Port, it was already 6am (more chats that lasted almost 45 minutes).  If not for the rain, I don't know how much more time we'll be resting while eating rice porridge prepared by the ever supportive and generous Danao Runners - a very delicious breakfast indeed.  Another male runner did not continue after the 35thK stop.

Getting back on the road, I already have doubts – should I finish this race or just ran the minimum requirement for an ultra?  But I just tried to feel the moment and will decide at the 50th KM which is in Lilo-an at KM18 landmark.  I was pacing with 2 lady runners hoping to get back my 2nd wind and will just overtake them when ready.  Two male runners now are nowhere to be found, one of them was literally barefoot.  It just came out of nowhere (or maybe just searching for good alibi of not completing the 69K) I remembered that that day way my father’s 53th birthday so why not do a birthday-run for him.  At the 45K stop, I decided to wait for the other runners to tell them that I’m not finishing the 69K run and will quit at the 53K mark.  Unknowingly, all of them were also thinking of stopping at the 50K mark.  So we continued until I saw a buko station and tried his very lip-smacking specially prepared coconut.  It was the first time that I ever eaten+drank a coconut in the middle of my run in fear of having LBM but who cares, I’m now just 8K away.  I could not see the 2 ladies anymore after I’ve finished my hearty snack.

When we meet at the 50K mark, I have to get my bag from the mobile support van and told them that I will just walk my last 3KM.  I arrived at the 53K mark (15KM landmark from Cebu Capitol) at exactly 8:40 am.  That’s 10 hrs and 20 minutes run/walk.  It was time to go home… unworthy of the 69K medal but very happy that I’m now confident to finish the Bohol UltraMarathon injury free.  Those two male runners ahead of us completed the 69K LSD run.  Congratulations to both of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment