Saturday, April 28, 2012

Midnight Beer Run

FUN Run indeed!!!


With this year’s fun run registration fee peaking, I thought joining such event would be history for 2012.  I have my daily (almost) 5K run instead while trying to follow my schedule of doing long runs every weekend.  I only planned to run in marathons and ultra-marathons because of this reason (unreasonable increase in registration fees).  But when I read about a fun run to be held in Lapu-lapu City, dubbed the Midnight Beer Run, I did not hesitate and went to the nearest registration center immediately (mind you it was not the beer that really struck me but the P150 reg fee) on the 1st day of registration --- even if at the time, my youngest was still in the hospital.  I also listed my wife (good opportunity to share with her my passion at the same time “bonding moments” together) plus a friend who was up for the “beer” challenge, unfortunately he had to back-out at the last minute because of a fatherly obligation that he needs to tend.  So I informed my brother, Niel Roy, and asked if he’d like the idea of doing this run and he said yes (he came all the way from the province) for this run.

By the way, the fun run was set to be held simultaneously with Opon’s yearly Kadaugan sa Mactan set of activities.  So hours before the run, Rina, me, and some officemates strolled the area where lots of people partying, eating, drinking and all those things you usually see during Sinulog.  We even bought from a bargain stall some slightly used, but really nice stuff.  It was not an ukay-ukay but more of a rummage or garage sale, since the items being sold was their own personal possessions.  We went home exactly two hours before the scheduled gun-start.

I doubt if the organizers realized the vast number of people in the route and, by the time we got back, they only had minutes left to clear the area for the runners.  But anyway, it was explained later that the crowd is part of the challenge.  Minutes before the run started, we were instructed about the route, the water stations (or shall I say beer station but water is still available just in case you haven’t bought on the idea that beer is okay sometimes), the freebies, the 3 meter crawl to the finish line, the one shot of mild brandy + a “chaser” of cold beer and lastly to remind us that the 1st 1000 participants get a “I survived the Midnight Run” shirt.

I was praying that hopefully someone I know (with a camera) is present in the said fun run and would take pictures of us enjoying the run.  Just a hundred meters from the starting area I saw a good acquaintance who has taken pictures of me from my previous run and I was very happy to see him.  I called him, posed and thanked him for being there. 



There were times when we slowed down to walking mode because of the number of party goers cheering for the runners, some even giving high fives, some crossing the runner’s lane, etc…  The first beer station was comical since some already-drunk teenagers were also lining up to get some free beers but were later advised to leave since only those with race bibs are allowed.  But some are hard-headed though, started begging the attendant to spare a cup.  Saw few runners also (co-finishers in ultra-marathons) filling empty long-necked-brandy bottles with beer at the beer stations.  It was illegal but who cares, they were there to enjoy the run and even danced every time they passed a “rock band” performing along the route.

The run ended with a 3-meter crawl where that same friend was there; taking pictures  of us (I haven’t seen the picture though).  We then took a sip of that brandy followed by a glass of beer; received some corn chips (pulutan daw) and then the nightmare in that long line to receive our finisher’s shirt.  People started barking at those who just came and tried to overtake everyone else.  Smells like a PE room in college since the line by now has become a big dense circle.  Even saw a man in Lapu-lapu outfit raising his race bib and saying he should be prioritized because he’s Lapulapu. With that declaration the crowd started laughing again.  Eventually we received our finisher shirt which I kiddingly read it as “I Survived that Smelly Line”.  We went back to the starting area to meet my brother Niel (who finished way ahead of us), and then found out that there were prizes being raffled that included over-night-hotel-stay coupons, boutique discounts and items from a brand New Balance (2 running shorts and a new shoe) as the final major prizes.  The emcee decided to stop raffling the bib numbers because either the bib owner is no longer there or they are still busy lining up for their finisher’s shirt.  So to save time and get a definite winner they started looking for items and the first person to arrive with that item wins the prize.

We were standing near the stage when the emcee said, “To win this men’s New Balance short, who could show me his new balance shoes first?”  I wasted no time, two of us came running but I was the first one to arrive and stretched out my right leg on floor of that elevated stage.  Luckily I won the prize.  I was so happy that I did not bother listening to the next prize which was a New Balance women running short (won by my wife).  The emcee asked “Who could come first and dance on the stage?”  My wife (who’s a very good dancer) also did not waste time. Seeing her dancing alone in the stage made me said to myself, “wala na jud makalupig sa kabaga” which by the way is a positive compliment.  I love you Lalang!!!

So was it a fun run?

ABSOLUTELY!!!




Goat-on-the-Run comments:
·         Why ask for a 3K or a 6K category when there was only one category?
·         Better crowd management next time (route and freebies line).


Overall Remark:
·         Very fun-filled event that lives up to category of a true “Fun Run”.

2 comments:

  1. way to go tacs! i admire your perseverance.. i hope i had the same.. now i am stuck with a big belly that only running can get rid of, i don't even have the enthusiasm to run any more. :( hehe good luck to you and rina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok ra Patsy oi.. sa imo baya ko na-inspire kay nidagan kag 21K sauna.. sugod lang balik gud bisan gagmay lang..

      Delete