Saturday, July 10, 2010

Energizer Night Race... NOT what I've Expected...

...Last night's Energizer Night Race was a well-organized running event. Though it has its lapses but for me, who doesn’t run to win prizes (even if I try to, I know I won’t), it’s a success…

Weeks before the said event, I received an invitation in my FB account about the Energizer Night Race. It said that the number of participants will be limited to only 2000 registrants so on the 1st day of registration, I was one of the “early birds”. After seeing the route map, I said to myself “Is this for real? Ngano gud nga tuyok-tuyok man ni?”. That’s what you get for being so impulsive, registering without getting the details first. BTW, I joined only because I thought it would be a new experience aside from the usual Sunday’s early morning races. The headlight and the baseball cap were just consolations but my wife thinks that so far it’s the first race that I had my money’s worth.

Then another message I received in FB saying there’s a change-o’-route, and then the limits were stretched to 2500 participants. From that moment, I felt that this race would be a disaster. Seeing the route, it would pass through: one of the busiest streets in Mandaue City, then to areas never was used before as race route, then to poorly-lighted streets, then to a very populated street. Most of the ingredients of “How to Create a Complicated Race Route” recipe are in. My fears grew upon hearing an advice from a friend that we need to be extra careful and should run in groups and since it would be our club’s biggest number of participants in a single race so far, I was more worried. I decided to run as a “sweeper” for this race because of these worries. We also advised all Lear Runners about the unseen possible dangers and told them to have a running partner and be alert always.

Then race day came. It started just 5 minutes late and off we go.

I was very happy to see that roads for the race route were closed to vehicles and thank God, police and tanods were present in areas I’ve just mentioned above. I could see the traffic jam on the other side of the highway (2 hours would be a long wait) hope they have taken their dinner already. I think I did have a 12K run last night (sweeper) but it was indeed a FUN run for me.

My OPINION: their were many holes and lapses in that said event that would matter most to those runners who are aiming to win the prizes but most were there to enjoy the experience and I believed the organizers have addressed their most important task which is keep everyone safe.



Energizer Night Race


First impression doesn't always last - Rexona

No comments:

Post a Comment